Have you been experiencing pain radiating into your legs or feet? You may be suffering sciatic pain.
Understanding the Structure
The sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in our body. It originates in the lumbar spine (low back) and extends down both legs.
Common Causes for Neck Pain
Sciatica or sciatic pain is a symptom. Sciatica symptoms are often characterised as:
- Low back pain that radiates into the buttock and/or down the leg and foot
- Usually only involves one leg
- Pain is usually described as a sharp, stabbing, burning sensation
- Numbness and tingling may be present
- Possible weakness in leg or foot
What Causes Sciatica?
Sciatica has many causes. The most common causes are:
- Inflammation of the sciatic nerve due to joint damage and degeneration in the lumbar spine (where the sciatic nerve originates)
- Lumbar disc bulges may touch the sciatic nerve and cause sciatic symptoms
- Spinal Stenosis may cause a smaller area for the sciatic nerve to run in, and may cause compression of the nerve
- Piriformis Syndrome refers to a tightening of the piriformis muscle (in buttock area) that may compress or irritate the sciatic nerve
Can Chiropractic Care Help?
After an accurate assessment of the cause of your sciatic pain, we will provide you with an appropriate plan and strategy to help you with your condition. We focus on making sure your lumbar spine is functioning correctly and to take the pressure off your sciatic nerve.
1. Santilli, V., Beghi, E. and Finucci, S. (2006). Chiropractic manipulation in the treatment of acute back pain and sciatica with disc protrusion: a randomized double-blind clinical trial of active and simulated spinal manipulations. The spine journal : official journal of the North American Spine Society, [online] 6(2), pp.131–7. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16517383.
2. <a href=’https://www.freepik.com/photos/house’>House photo created by diana.grytsku – www.freepik.com</a>